Monday, April 14, 2014

Pete DeBoer to Return to Devils as Head Coach in 2014-2015 Season

This is just the reason why I love Lou Lamoriello.

After days of speculation and non-credible rumors flying around the hockey realm that Pete DeBoer, who's contract is up at the end of this season, would join the Toronto Maple Leafs as their next head coach after failing to take the Devils to the playoffs two out of the last three years, Lamoriello quickly ensured his time in New Jersey isn't done.

Lamoriello took to the media during the first intermission of yesterday's season finale, where he announced "There are a lot of rumors going on, a lot of misinformation about our coach - so I'm going to step out of character and put this to rest. Pete DeBoer is under contract for next year, has been under contract for next year, and will be coaching next year. That's all I have to say."

Per usual, Lamoriello didn't say much more, but I'm assuming a multi-year extension with the New Jersey Devils will be announced by either DeBoer or Uncle Lou in the near future.

Locking up DeBoer for the next few years certainly increases the Devils chances re-signing Jaromir Jagr in the off-season. Jagr revealed in an interview last week that if he were to return to New Jersey, he hoped Pete DeBoer would still be behind the bench.

"I'm excited to be back", DeBoer said. "In my mind I think we have some unfinished business. I really felt if a few things had gone a little differently during the year we would still be playing. I am sure there are a lot of teams saying the same thing. I wish we were starting again next week."

DeBoer has been the head coach of the New Jersey Devils since July 19th, 2011. He led the Devils to the Stanley Cup Finals in 2012 and currently has a record of 102-75-34 as coach of the Devils. Though most are quick to judge the Devils performance under DeBoer, I'd like to see any other coach do what he's done after losing Zach Parise and Ilya Kovalchuk in back to back seasons.

"He's a good coach", said New Jersey center Travis Zajac. "He's a great communicator. He's got a presence in the dressing room, behind the bench, and he's got a good feel for this team. I think he's a smart coach. He'll adjust and he'll come back with new ideas next year and try to get this team in the playoffs. I think it's a great move by Lou. He's a really good coach."












No comments:

Post a Comment