Friday, September 20, 2013

Farewell Mr. Andrew Eugene Pettitte


For the past 18 years I've been lucky enough to witness the brilliant career of Andy Pettitte unfold.

Andy tipping his hat to the greatest fans in the world
In saying that "I've reached the point where I know I've left everything I have on the field. The time is right. I've exhausted myself, mentally and physically, and that's exactly how I want to leave this game", the New York Yankees south paw announced he will retire at the conclusion of this season, which means that bearing a late playoff push, Sunday's start against the San Francisco Giants will be his last in a pinstripe uniform at Yankee Stadium, and the last time for fans to witness the famous stare down wind up that has trademarked Andy's career. 

In a press release, Andy Expressed that he wants "all of our fans to know now- while I'm still wearing this uniform- how grateful I am for their support through my career. I want to have the opportunity to tip my cap to them during these remaining days and thank them for making my time here with the Yankees so special."

Pettitte stepped away from the bigs once before, sitting out the entire 2011 season, but returned to the Yanks for the 2012 and 2013 seasons. 

Over that two year span, Pettitte, 41, has gone a respectable 15-14 with a 3.60 earned-run average, bumping his career totals to 255-152, with a 3.86 ERA over an illustrious 18 year career. 

As humble a man as anyone to play the game, Andy Pettite admitted "One of the things I struggled with in making this announcement now was doing anything to take away from Mariano's day on Sunday. It is his day. He means so much to me, and has meant so much to my career that I would just hate to somehow take the attention away from him." 

The last time the Core Four was fully in tact
Well Andrew, the purpose of this blog post is to show you how much you mean to me, and to keep the attention solely on you, Dandy Andy, The Stopper, Soul Brother #46. 

I know you hate the spot light... but it's time everyone know's exactly who we're saying good bye to.

A three- time All- Star in 1996, 2001, and 2010, Andy Pettitte holds the all time New York Yankees record for strikeouts with 2,415. 

He has spent all but three years of his superb with career with the New York Yankees. In those 15 years, Andy Pettitte has become a proud owner of five World Series Championship rings in 1996, 1998, 1999, 2000, and 2009. 

In 2003 Andy Pettitte was awarded the Warren Spahn Award for the best left handed pitcher in all of baseball. 

In 2001, he was awarded the American League Championship Series Most Valuable Player Career. 

With 19 wins, Andy is the winningest MLB pitcher in post-season history. 

And a note from the author...

Andy, you are my favorite pitcher to ever the play the game. You're an icon. Your will to win and courageous actions have taught me that their is no substitute for hard work. 

Mr. Andrew Eugene Pettitte, you're a Hall of Famer in my book. 

Thank you for everything. Number 46. 













No comments:

Post a Comment